In our series on Joshua we touched on the subject of Anxiety and how Joshua dealt with the immense load a new leader has leading over 2 million of God’s people into the land that God prepared for them. He did so by the Promise of God. Josh 1.1-10
We can only imagine the pressure and responsibility upon Joshua as he took up the lead of God’s People. It could be that he secretly struggled with some aspects of fear hence the many times in chapter one he was affirmed: “be strong and very courageous”
Joshua had the opportunity to live in Anxiety, to internalize it and allow it to paralyze him, but he discovered something about the Presence of God and His comfort. Joshua had an Eternal Purpose that delivered him from any anxiousness and the disorders that anxiety produces.
In this short article I’d like to address Anxiety, some of it’s disorders and how we as God’s Children overcome it. This is not an exhaustive treatise on the subject of Anxiety nor am I a qualified psychologist or physical that can make professional diagnosis on the subject. But God’s Word certainly has a say on this matter and that is what we will focus on. The following are notes from last Sunday’s message.
Anxiety is an undefined, abstract fear that is caused by the suppression of unresolved issues, these unresolved matters remain unresolved in the subconscious & unconscious mind - remaining unresolved to God’s Viewpoint. In this state we feel separated and isolated from the security of purpose we were created for and suffer dissatisfaction, boredom, and nervousness.
God’s Gracious Thoughts and Purpose - Jer 29.11, Rom 8.28:
- We are different creatures than in the animal kingdom: God has put His Spirit in us - He has placed Eternal Purpose in us: "He also has planted eternity in men’s hearts and minds [a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy” - Eccl 3.11b (Amp)
- We are created for purpose - Eph 2.10 - For God’s good plan, not pleasure alone. Too much pleasure and entertainment steal purpose, it intoxicates and spiritually stupefies.
- The godless world system we live in ("Kosmos") seeks to nullify the eternal purpose in a believer’s life - Forget the Illuminati, the Masons, "alien shadow government" - it’s called “spiritual wickedness in high places” - Eph 6.12
People say: “It is what it is”, but that is a defeated attitude towards things that people are not able to resolve themselves.
3 Major Unresolved things in people's lives:
- Sin - It’s crucified, buried, forgiven & forgotten. Gal 2.20, Romans 8.1
- Conflicts with people - Preferring one another in love. Rom 12.10
- Relationships - unresolved problems in relationships healed by trusting God for people - We can’t change people but we can trust God for them who can turn the hearts of even kings! - Prov 21.1
- Not understanding our value and unconditional love in our lives. Jude 20,21
Rejecting the Purpose of God such as Jonah did causes misery - Jonah 1.1-3,17;4.1-10. Anxiety Disorders compound in complexity when the Purpose for which we were created is rejected and we go our now way. The result is dissatisfaction, and a process begins that medication cannot thoroughly address. When Jonah rejected God’s Purpose he entered into a process:
> Rejecting the Call to Nineveh.
> Suppressing unresolved obedience to God’s Purpose.
> Suppressed issues leads to Anxiety
> This lead to loneliness & depression
"Psychomotor Agitation” complex ensues with resulting symptoms:
- Fidgety, nervousness, restlessness, no inner peace
- Panic attacks - something inside, the inner man fears for his existence
- Depression - middle aged & elderly especially experience this.
- Mental disorders
- Physical & Eating disorders
Eternal Purpose never changes though Life Situations & Dreams Change
Dreams and endeavors may change dramatically & tragically but His purpose is always the same: Phil 3.10 & Job 14.7. 3 Aspects of our Purpose in every Life Situation:
- To know Him and the power of His resurrection
- Count everything else as worthless compared to Christ & His Calling
- Determine to Win Christ in every conflict.
How to get an understanding of your Eternal Purpose:
- Total Surrender of ourselves and all of our "stuff" at the Cross: - Rom 12:1 & Lev 1
- Daily yielding - personal cross - Rom 6:13,16,19
- Daily quickening in revelation of Jesus Christ - Acts 26:15
- Daily participation in the Body of Christ - Rom 12:10
- A prayer-life - God tells the man who cares - Acts 9.11
How to Function in your Purpose:
- Get a personal Rhema about your purpose and that revelation will keep you when times get tough
- Understanding our Eternal Purpose produces concentration which leads to consecration. Oftentimes more than not, people lack concentration in their life because of a lack of consecration.
- Without singleness of purpose we suffer distractions and wandering minds.
- Make a commitment and be accountable to God’s Purpose such s Joshua did before the Children of Israel.
The Eternal Purpose of God is one and the same as His Love. To be in His Purpose is to experience His Love - and to experience His Love is to function in God’s Eternal Purpose. The result is that Love heals us from Anxiety as we begin to know that we are in a secure atmosphere of Love and Grace of Christ’s Purpose - Eph 3.11. God’s Love is that unifying factor that causes us to understand we are one with God hence healing us from the Anxiety of separation from our purpose. Whenever we apply Divine Perspective via the Word of God to circumstances in our lives we are allowing Ultimate Resolution in those matters. The result is inner peace, a sense of being loved, that "all is ok" and the satisfaction that the matter is not left unresolved. Our capacity to trust God grows for issues because of His Promise - as with Joshua - and things, relationships, and problems are not left unresolved. We can then relax and see the end of Anxiety in our souls.
"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety." George Muller.