Here are some abbreviated draft notes from a message we preached Sunday in Philly. This is part 2 from last Sunday on Toxic Relationships. Next Sunday will be part 3 of the series and will be on Deliverance & Healing from Toxicity in the Soul & in Relationships.
Mark 7:20-23 - Amplified Bible
And He said, What comes out of a man is what makes a man unclean and renders [him] unhallowed.
21 For from within, [that is] out of the hearts of men, come base and wicked thoughts, sexual immorality, stealing, murder, adultery,
22 Coveting (a greedy desire to have more wealth), dangerous and destructive wickedness, deceit; unrestrained (indecent) conduct; an evil eye (envy), slander (evil speaking, malicious misrepresentation, abusiveness), pride ( the sin of an uplifted heart against God and man), foolishness (folly, lack of sense, recklessness, thoughtlessness).
23 All these evil [purposes and desires] come from within, and they make the man unclean and render him unhallowed.
The toxicity that we all see in relationships come all too often from our own toxic heart. The toxic heart in the Bible is the heart in Ezekiel 36.26 where all the pollutants of Mark 7:20-23 can be found in everyman's heart.
God wants to replace this heart with a new heart. He gives a soft heart that is tuned to the frequency of God's thoughts and impulses - Jer 24.7
Toxic thinking begins anytime our thought process excludes God's Grace and we exit Faith thinking.
Toxic thinking is something that finds root when we surrender to toxic influences in 4 areas of life:
1. Commercial philosophy
2. Carnal Entertainment & worldly social trends
3. Toxic People
4. Man-Made Religion
Toxic thinking leads to:
1. Toxic emotions:
>Bitterness and resentment
>Envy and comparison
>Anger and rage
>Fear and worry
>Resident Guilt & permeating shame.
2. Toxic health
>Acidic Ph levels
>Vitamin & Mineral deficiency
3. Toxic behavior
>Impulsive - Compulsive
>Lack of focus, concentration
>Neurological & Pathological
>Weak Character - lying, etc
4. Toxic words:
Points on Toxicity in the soul.
1. Before we deal with toxicity in other's we must learn to guard the heart by hiding His word in our heart.
2. Any area of our soul that we do not surrender to the cross is an area that will become toxic and corrupt the inside of the soul.
3. Toxicity oozes from un-healed wounds in the soul. Past relationships, betrayals, post-separation, or wounds caused by toxic people need to be addressed with applying forgiveness and prayer for those people. Otherwise the wound remains painful to touch & festers for decades to come.
4. Toxicity can be transferred from mother to daughter, father to son and even from partner to partner. It is transferred through the soul to another unguarded heart where it is emotionally embedded like an old shipwreck embedded in the bottom of the sea.
5. Toxicity causes bitter waters and anyone that drinks from them poisons themselves unknowingly. Guard your heart, Apply the cross in any toxic area of the soul. The cross is the healer.
The Cross - The healer of Toxic Waters in the Soul.
"And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah. And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? And he cried unto the Lord, and the Lord showed him a TREE, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet."—Exodus 15:23-25.